If reclassified as non-exempt, can I recover my unpaid overtime?

Q. Although my job hasn't changed, I have been reclassified as non-exempt and now get paid for overtime. Shouldn't I have been paid overtime all along?  Can I now recover my overtime pay for the period before I was reclassified?

A. Yes.  Your employer probably reclassified your overtime status because it discovered that you were previously misclassified. You may be entitled to recover your unpaid overtime wages going back two or three years prior to the reclassification.

Fill out our quick case evaluation form for a free and confidential review of your situation.